Monday 1 March 2010

Charon by H. Koppdelaney



I passed you along the way.
Despite your tired face
and lined hands
you still walk this road.
Slow and steady,
your pack upon your back.

Would you not like to rest?
Watch your step, my dear.
Do not let yourself fall.
Mind out for the
overtaking traveller along the way.
Ah, no, you cannot stop
me leaving you behind.
Don’t fret, my love.
I will lay you out on the cold ground.

Your hands uncurled and unfurled.
Your body lay back with a relief
that released your muscles
and let your limbs relax.
Your bag lies discarded and forgotten.

Ah, my dear, I can make you forget
this pain and this hurt and this ache.
I can take your hand
and pass you up,
or pass you down.
Whichever way you go after this,
my dear, I am your turning point.
You sink as you fall.
You let go and your eyes close.
I shall embrace you.
Let me kiss you away.
No, do not fear, my love,
I come to everyone.
This may only be a beginning.
You are laid out on the cold ground.

I passed you along the way.
I cannot rest;
I am the only one
that keeps walking
along this road called time.
And I leave all behind me.


01/03/10

6 comments:

  1. "I am the only one
    that keeps walking
    along this road called time."


    Nice take on this picture prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like what you did with this...nicely done and thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi -
    That ending is a bit of a surprise, in a good way. I think the poem works fine without the picture. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think the poem can stand alone. I particularly like that last two stanzas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Let me kiss you away"
    I love that line, nicely done!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written! 'This may only be a beginning' particularly stirs my mind.

    ReplyDelete